Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I have a birth injury (medical malpractice, personal injury, etc.) case?
  • Oftentimes, it is necessary to speak with an attorney in order to determine whether you have a case and the type of case you have. Attorneys are specifically skilled in spotting the legal issues within any given case in order to make this determination. The laws are complex and sometimes a person thinks they have a particular case, but one element may be missing. If that element is missing, then the person might not have a case at all or, perhaps, if that element is missing, the person might have a different type of case all together. You can discuss your concerns with Attorney Johnnie Bond in order to help figure out what kind of case you have.

  • Do I have to pay any attorney’s fees?
  • We work on a contingency fee basis. This means there are no upfront attorney fees for you. The contingency fee is charged for the services only if the lawsuit is successful or is favorably settled out of court. These fees are usually calculated as a percentage of your net recovery (typically 33% of the recovery if the case is settled won at trial).

  • Are you experienced in this area of law?
  • Johnnie Bond has focused his entire legal career on protecting the rights of families whose lives have been affected by birth injuries, medical malpractice, or accidents. He zealously advocates on his client’s behalf in order to seek the compensation his client deserves.

  • How much is my case worth?
  • It is true that each case is unique. The plaintiffs are different, the defendants are different. Certain circumstances lend themselves more easily to a different result than others. The jury and judge are different from case to case. Each client suffers a different harm and require different treatments/recoveries. All of these factors play a huge role in determining the outcome. Because of this, definitively stating an amount that your case is worth would be impractical. A proper review of the entire case is necessary to even begin a determination on if you have a case. Interviewing potential witnesses could impact your case’s potential outcome. Until Johnnie Bond has had a chance to review all the information about your case and determine the issues within your case, he will not be able to give any indication about whether you have a case or not. If an insurance advocate has told you what your case is worth, remember that they are not working for your best interest.

  • I’ve never done anything like this before, (sued anyone before, been in court before, etc.) what do I need to do?
  • The court system can be overwhelming for someone who has never done anything like this before. The formalities and procedures can be confusing. This is one of the many reasons some people choose to retain an attorney. Johnnie Bond is well-versed with the court system, he knows all the formalities and procedures. He knows what needs to be filed and when it needs to be filed. When you contact us, we will sit down with you and discuss your case. Once you decide to retain us, we will file all the necessary papers with the court. We will let you know, every step of the way, what is next. So call today to talk about your case.

  • How long will this process take?
  • It is difficult, if not impossible, to predict how long your case will take to achieve an outcome. Some cases settle outside court within months, while others could drag on for years.

  • I think my case is really good, why won't they just settle with me?
  • There could be several reasons the opposing party has decided not to settle the case with you. If you think you have such a good case that you do not need to have a legal team on your side, then they might think they have a better chance at trial than negotiating. If you refuse to budge on the settlement offer, this could affect their ability to accept a settlement. Believe it or not, there is an art to negotiated settlements. Hiring an experienced attorney during this critical stage is important.

  • Can I sue on behalf of my child? Grandchild?
  • In general, only parents or legal guardians can file a suit on behalf of a minor child. A minor child is unable, under the law, to take legal action for herself. The minor child may rely on the parent or guardian to handle the situation for him.

  • How much time do I have to bring a lawsuit? Or is it too late for me to bring a lawsuit (sue for money?)
  • Certain cases have a statute of limitations. The statute of limitation lays out the timeline for which a lawsuit can be brought. For instance, in Washington, DC, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death suit is two years. Personal Injury cases must be filed within three years from the date the injury occurred. Medical Malpractice claims must be brought within three years of the date that the act giving rise to the injury occurred, or within three years of the date when the plaintiff had knowledge, or reasonably should have had knowledge, of the injury.

  • Can you better describe the Business Torts practice area?
  • Typically, business torts involve complex claims between business entities that have a working relationship of sorts. The relationship or an economic interest suffers resulting in an economic loss instead of property damage or bodily harm. This broad category includes a number of different matters. For instance, one claim is a tortious interference with contractual relations where a third party intentionally persuades one of the parties to the contract to break the contract. This act results in damage to the relationship between the contracting parties. With such complex issues and economic stakes at play, an experienced attorney is a must.

  • How do I know if I have a Medical Malpractice claim?
  • Malpractice involves negligence or incompetence on the part of the professional. Standards are applied to determine if the physician acted with the degree of care and skill that another physician, within the same medical specialty, would use under similar circumstances. Often referred to as med mal, for short. An experienced med mal lawyer can help evaluate whether or not you have a case.

  • What kind of Personal Injury cases do you take?
  • There are a number of different personal injury claims – a personal injury can be a negligent action that causes harm to a person or it can be any invasion of a personal right, including mental suffering. We handle the following types of claims: amputations, dismemberment, auto accidents, burn injuries, injuries to a disabled child, injuries to a disabled individual, paralysis, quadriplegia/paraplegia injuries, slip & falls, truck accidents, and workers’ compensation claims.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation
Phone Number